Try this recipe and let me know how it turns out ~
DISH PAIRING TIP: Bulgogi (Korean Beef BBQ) or Make Gimbap with it.
KOREAN SPINACH SIDE DISH (시금치나물)
[b]SERVES[/b] 2 [br][b]Total:[/b] 10 minutes [b]Active[/b]: 5 minutes
- 1 bunch/ 12 oz spinach, preferably whole spinach with the root and stems, not just the leaves
- 4 cups water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp sugar
- kosher salt to taste, about ¼ tsp
- Wash the spinach thoroughly, since the plants can be sandy.
- Use a knife to separate each plant into 2-4 sections, a good bite.
- In a medium sized pot, bring the water to a boil. Blanch the spinach for 30 seconds while tossing them with a tongs to ensure all plants submerge in the water. Fish them out and give them a quick rinse with cold water so they stop cooking.
- Use your hands to wring out the extra water from the leaves.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the spinach. Then, add the rest of the ingredients and bring it all together.
- Serve immediately or keep it in the refrigerator. It will keep for a couple of days when refrigerated.
Gopher’s Tip:[br][br]This leftover blanching water has a lot of flavor and nutrition in it. Feel free to use it as veggie stock or boil pasta or grain in it.
Trouble finding sesame seeds? Here is an online source for Sesame Seeds.