[kad_youtube url=”https://youtu.be/fijFx8y0k_Y” maxwidth=680 ]
Zion National Park – The Ultimate Hiking Adventure
What makes you happy? For me, nature does the wonder.
So, Mr. Lunch and I decided to embark on a 30-day road trip across America to reconnect with nature. Our first destination was Zion National Park. Zion National Park is the Utah’s first National Park. It’s known for its sheer canyon walls, steep red cliffs, and brilliant blue skies.
The best way to experience these enchanting beauties is on foot. We set out on a three day backcountry trip along the West Rim Trail of Zion.
Our fast-paced, modern life often leaves us breathless and overly stressed. Nature is a great remedy to destress. According to a recently published article in National Geographic Magazine, Research shows that a 15 min walk in the woods decreases the stress hormone, cortisol. It also lowers one’s blood pressure and heart rate. Amazingly, a study shows that time spent in nature can also improve creativity by a whopping 50%.
Although we all love all of our parks, visits to the park are down per capita. We as a people are also making fewer visits to the backyard. One recent survey found that only 10 percent of American teens spend time outside everyday.
Nature nurtures, and there is a lot of research supporting this philosophy. Outside of what science says, I know how I feel when I am in nature. Get outside and enjoy the beautiful world around you.
Remember guys, Eat Real, Be Real.
Here is my story about how I lost 14 pounds in 12 months. And, how I got off steroidal medicine for the first time in my life, in over 3 decades…
In this episode, you’ll find:
- Zion National Park – experience these enchanting beauties
- A mouth watering camp dinner – smoked herring with creamy rice risotto
- One of my favorite hiking snacks – Chomperz by Seasnax
- How to lower the stress hormone, cortisol – a natural remedy
- A disturbing survey about American teens
- My dietary restrictions and skin irritation connection
Backcountry Smoked Herring with Creamy Risotto
Prep: 25 minutes Active: 25 minutes
1 Trader Joe’s Kipper Fillets Smoked Herring in Canola Oil and Juices, ( 6.7oz) tin
750 ml (3 cups) water
1 cup short grain rice
1 Tbsp dried celery
1 Tbsp dried onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
- Add the water, rice, celery, onion, garlic, and salt to a backcountry cook pot over a high flame.
- Once the water begins to boil give everything a stir and reduce the heat down to a simmer. Continue to cook over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Then, add in the herring and continue cooking over a low flame for an additional 3 minutes.
- Finally, turn the heat off and allow the pot to stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and enjoy your delicious backcountry meal.
Download 5 Things I Did
Download a FREE list of 5 Things I did to transform my skin to look beautiful & become medicine FREE